Raw Head is the FRCC’s hut and cottage in the Langdale valley, it is situated close to the road about 3km from Chapel Stile.
Grid Ref: NY 304067
Address: Raw Head, Great Langdale, Ambleside, Cumbria, LA22 9JS
(or click a marker to set)
The B5343 runs up Great Langdale from Skelwith Bridge. Follow this to Chapel Stile from where it is just over 3km to Raw Head. As you near the hut look out for a wooden wall above the dry stone wall on your right. Raw Head is the next property on the right immediately opposite the The Robertson Lamb hut which belongs to the Wayfarers. There is parking to the front and back of the Barn.
Raw Head comprises of the Barn which is available to club members and their guests to be booked in advance or turning up on spec and the Cottage which is available for sole use by members and their families and guests. Preference for booking the Cottage is given to parties with children under 13 years old.
Nearest Telephone/Mobile Connection
Mobile phone reception is possible in some places behind the Barn. The nearest public phone is at Chapel Stile but there is also an overpriced payphone at the Stickle Barn.
Facilities in the area
The nearest shop is the Co-op in Chapel Stile which stocks a good range of produce including local meat and bread. It is open from 9/9.30am to 5/5.30pm. There is also a post office at Elterwater.
Within easy reach of Raw Head there are five pubs. Up the valley are the New Dungeon Ghyll, the Stickle Barn and the Old Dungeon Ghyll (ODG). Down the valley are the Wainwright’s Inn and the Britannia Inn in Elterwater. All the pubs do food and are open all year round.
Climbing and Walking
Langdale has the advantage of both high and low crags, many having a sunny aspect allowing climbing in all months of the year. Easily reached are Scout Crag, White Ghyll, Raven and Raven Walthwaite. Higher crags include Gimmer, Pavey Ark and Bowfell. There are also crags on Pike O’Blisco, the Crinkles and over in Easedale. The higher crags and gullies give winter climbing and mixed routes.
The Raw Head hut comprises two properties, the seventeenth century farmhouse which is a listed building and a converted barn. Early in 1944, the owner of Raw Head farm in Langdale agreed to rent the small farmhouse to the Club for use as a hut and a 20 year lease was arranged. Little conversion was possible and amenities were limited but the building was ready for its official opening in October 1944. Two years later, the owner decided to sell the whole farm property including the barn and outhouses. The finance for the purchase came from loans and donations from members and a generous donation from the London Section which is recorded in a stone engraving above the door of the barn. Conversion of the barn involved major reconstruction work which was complicated by the wartime building restrictions that were still in operation.
The barn was officially opened in April 1950 when the two properties became known separately as Raw Head Cottage and Raw Head Barn. Work continued after the opening with an extension to the barn providing the end kitchen and the washrooms above while the arrival of electricity in 1957 greatly improved the cooking, heating and lighting facilities and opened the way to further ongoing improvements.